Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Start now, saving for next Christmas

Well, another Christmas has come and gone!  I don't know about you but before I started learning how to live frugally I used to panic around the end of October, wondering how in the world I was going to get all the gifts, food and decorations I needed for the upcoming holidays. 



I am here to help you avoid that sinking feeling when the holidays inevitably come back around in about 11 months. 

Tip #1:  Shop the after Christmas clearance sales
NOW is the time to shop for decorations, wrapping paper, gift bags, tape, bows, and Christmas trees!
The very day after Christmas most stores including Target, Walmart, Kohl's and even the Dollar Store will put all of their Holiday decor on sale for at least 50% off.  If you wait another week they will even sweeten the deal.  Last year I went to Walmart on New years weekend and got about $300 worth of Christmas tree decorations, lights and new stockings all for around $10 when they marked most of their holiday merchandise at 75% off.
You can find more than just decorations at clearance prices.  Stores will also put massive discounts on overstock of clothing, shoes, food and movies and toys that they ordered for holiday shoppers.  This is the time to purchase gifts to stockpile for birthday parties, housewarming gifts, and baby and wedding showers throughout the year; not to mention Christmas gifts for next year.

Tip #2  Keep an eye out for Garage Sales and Consignment stores
Now is the time that people will be purging and making room for their new gifts and decor, generally people will do one of three things with their overflow.  They will either have a garage sale, take their items to a consignment shop or donate them to the Goodwill.  That means huge savings for you and me! 

Tip #3 Take advantage of rewards programs such as Swagbucks
If you have not signed up for Swagbucks yet, you are missing out!  I didn't start with Swagbucks until about July of this year, but was still able to purchase several gifts with the money I made in my Amazon account thanks to Swagbucks!  What is Swagbucks you ask?  Take this tutorial and get started signing up for next year!

1 comment:

  1. pawn shops too! My old boss told me that everyone had to pawn their stuff before Christmas to pay for gifts, hoping to buy it back afterwards, but either forget or never get enough money because they overspent yet again.

    ReplyDelete