Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Homemade Blueberry Muffins


There is an orchard about 20 miles from my home, I have always known it was there but for some reason never had the desire to visit until recently.  Well on Monday a friend and I, along with her two children and my princess decided to head up there and check it out!  I was pleasantly surprised at the prices of their produce, I expected it to be outrageous, but it was very reasonable.  We got to pick our own strawberries which was a real treat for the little ones, and I also brought home some fresh blueberries and peaches.  I actually have NEVER bought fresh blueberries before... I know, I know....  So, what to do with 1 pound of fresh blueberries but to make blueberry muffins, of course!  I combined two recipes that I found to make this one and I must say it is super yummy!

3 tablespoons butter
1 cup sugar
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 cups blueberries
Topping:
1 teaspoon sugar 
1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon or ground nutmeg

Place butter and sugar in a medium sized bowl and cream together with a hand mixer.  Add the egg, milk and vanilla and beat together until just combined.  In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt.  Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine with the whisk (careful not to over mix).  Fold in the blueberries.
Spoon muffin mix into muffin tins (you can either use cupcake liners or spray the pan VERY well!)
Top with topping mixture and bake at 350 for 25 minutes (or until the tops of muffins spring back when pushed down with fingertips)

No comments:

Post a Comment