Monday, April 2, 2012
Oriental Honey Chicken
This recipe was inspired by something I found on Pinterest. I put my own spin on it and kicked it up a notch with some red pepper flakes and gave it an oriental flare by adding it to some fried rice and voila, YUMMMMYYYY!!!
Ingredients for Chicken
4-6 pieces chicken (your choice)
1 onion, chopped
2 tbsp honey
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
salt/pepper to taste
1/2 cup honey
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1 clove garlic, minced
Ingredients for Fried Rice
1 cup long grain white rice (cooked and cooled)
1 small onion (chopped)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 can mixed vegetables (carrots, peas, corn etc)
1. Heat Olive oil in skillet, salt and pepper to taste and brown chicken on both sides (about 4-5 minutes on each sides)
2. Mix honey, soy sauce, onion, ketchup, garlic and red pepper flakes in separate bowl then add to chicken and reduce heat to medium low. Simmer 8-10 minutes.
3. Heat olive oil in small skillet and add eggs, scramble until just under done (don't let them dry out too much because they will continue to cook when they are added to the rice) set aside.
4. In wok or large skillet heat olive oil and add rice to pan (I personally rinse the rice prior to frying it to dry it out). Add eggs, soy sauce (to taste, I used about 1/4 cup) and onion. Stirring frequently cook until heated through. Add vegetables (drained) just prior to serving. (You can use frozen vegetables if desired, just cook a bit longer to ensure they are heated through).
5. Add chicken mixture to the rice and serve immediately.