Monday, December 12, 2011

The BEST dressing recipe EVER!!!



This is the only dressing recipe my mother ever used when I was a kid.  I cannot honestly tell you where it came from, but I can say that I have shared this recipe with many, many.... MANY friends and relatives and I have not heard a complaint yet!  So I thougth I would share it with you guys, just in time for Christmas!


Step 1: Make the cornbread
Preheat oven to 425
Ingredients:
1 cup yellow cornmeal
1 cup flour
4 teaspoons baking powder              
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 egg
1 cup milk
1/4 cup shortening
3 stalks celery, chopped
1/2 onion, chopped
Mix dry ingredients in small bowl, then mix wet ingredients in large bowl.  Add dry ingredients slowly and mix until just incorperated.  Place oven and bake for 20-25 minutes or until edges appear darker than middle.
** This is can easliy be done the day before to save time if you are making for a holiday meal.

Step 2: Make dressing
Preheat oven to 350
Ingredients:
3 eggs, hard boiled and chopped
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 can cream of celery soup (optional, you can substitute another can of cream of chicken soup)
2 cups chicken stock, or juice from turkey 
Crumble cornbread, salt and pepper to taste.  Add eggs, stock or turkey juice and soupos.  stir until thick soupy consistency (you may add more broth if needed)  Bake at 350 30-40 minutes (longer if you like a less soupy texture)
This recipe is easily doubled, or even tripled for big holiday meals.  It is also great for chicken and dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment