Saturday, June 9, 2012

Peach Pit Jelly



I recently discovered the "clearance" section of the local orchard!  Who knew??? They have fruit that is at the end of it's shelf life that you can get for much less than regular prices!
I also found a section of "culled" peaches.  That just means that they either are bruised or a bit misshapen.  There is absolutely nothing wrong with the meat of the fruit, it just doesn't look pretty enough to charge the big bucks for it.  So I got a flat of about 30 peaches for $7!!!  Even if you don't buy your fruit in bulk, you can throw the pits and/or skins into a freezer bag one at a time as your family eats them and save until you have enough to make a batch!

I brought them home and peeled, cored and sliced them to freeze for later use and I kept the pits and skins with the intention of drying them for use in potpourri and to my great surprise, when I went online to see other's results in my intended endeavor I found out that you can make "peach pit" jelly!  Here's what you do:

Step 1:
Place pits and skin into a pot and cover with water (about 1 inch).  Bring to a boil and reduce heat slightly to maintain a soft boil for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.  Strain the juice and discard the skins and pits. This should make about 4 cups of juice(I made a double batch).
Step2:
Prepare your jars by boiling jars and lids for 5 minutes to sanitize.  Remove from water and place on towel to dry.
Step3:
Measure 2 1/2 cups of sugar and have one package of pectin ready. Place juice back in the pot and return to a boil, stirring constantly.  Add sugar and pectin and return to a boil, stirring constantly.  Boil two minutes.  Remove from heat and skim any foam from the top.  Pour jelly into jars, about 1/8 inch from top and seal with hot lids.  Store in a cool, dry, dark place.
They will be ready to eat within 48 hours and will keep in refrigerator for 3 weeks after opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment