Monday, January 23, 2012

Yummy, Easy pot Roast Recipe

Pot Roast is one of my all time favorite comfort foods.  My husband's dear grandmother makes the absolute BEST pot roast on the planet, however, I have had her walk me step by step through her recipe and it NEVER turns out the same... I think she has some mystical Pot Roast powers that us mere mortals do not posses, therefore rendering it impossible to duplicate her success.
I do, however, have my own recipe which is very good in and of itself that I will share with you!

1 Rump Roast (2-4 lbs)
4 tablespoons flour
2 tablespoons oil
Salt and pepper to taste

1 packet onion soup mix
4 cups beef broth
1 onion, cut into large chunks
1 bay leaf
2 teaspoons minced garlic

Place oil in dutch oven or large pan and turn stove to medium high.  Salt and pepper both sides of the meat, dredge in flour and place in preheated pot.  Brown meat on all sides.
Take meat out of pot and place in crock-pot.
Add 2 cups beef broth, onion soup mix, onion, bay leaf and garlic in pot, bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and let simmer for 10-15 minutes.  Pour mixture over meat, add enough broth to almost cover meat.
Place Crock-Pot on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours (I suggest the low setting)
Check the water level throughout cooking time (without lifting lid)  If it gets low add reserved beef stock again to just cover the meat.
When the roast is done, remove meat and use remaining broth mixture to make gravy.
If desired you can add baby carrots and quartered red potatoes 2 hours before end cooking time for low setting, or 30 minutes before on high setting.

No comments:

Post a Comment